Throughout dogs history, the canine species has been bred for many tasks. One of the most prominent tasks the canine species has been bred for, was to protect it’s owners and guard against unwanted trespassers, animals and people.
While most modern day dogs will instinctively guard their territory, there are specific breeds that are known to be natural protectors. Below we will discuss a top 10 best guard dogs list.
10. Staffordshire Terrier. This dog is commonly confused as an American Pit Bull Terrier. This dog was bred for bull and bear fighting. The aggressive and protective instincts of this breed make them excellent guard dogs. However, this aggressive nature requires them to be thoroughly socialized and properly trained from a very early age. This breed makes excellent household pets. They are really only aggressive when they feel their owners safety is being threatened.
9. Kuvasz. This dog breed is extremely territorial. It possesses a strong instinct to guard its home and family. They are a dog breed that only cares about their owners. They do not care much for strangers.
8. German Sheppard. German Shepherds are extremely bold. They exude confidence, and they are fearless animals. They are an extremely intelligent dog breed. They learn commands extremely quick. They generally have a calm disposition while with the family. However, when this dog feels as though its home or family is being threatened, can become extremely aggressive. These dogs are frequently used in the United States as military and police dogs. They can be found in the K-9 unit at the local and federal level. They can also be found throughout Asia being used as a K-9 unit, as well.
This dog breed is huge. It is one of the largest dog breeds in the world. This breed began in Japan. Because of the Akitas size, strength and protection qualities, it has largely been used for police work in Japan. This breed is extremely independent. However, when it feels as though its family and/or home is in danger, it will attack with full force.
6. Greater Swiss Mountain Dog. This dog breed is a very large dog. The minimum weight for a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog is around 130 pounds. They possess a very strong pack instinct. They are extremely protective. Because of these characteristics along with its massive size, training and socialization is extremely important.
5. Boerboel. The Boerboel is one of the only dog breeds that are bred specifically to guard its home. This dog holds many characteristics that make it an excellent guard dog. These characteristics include; strength, power, intelligent, and protective. They are a fearless dog breed. Like any other large and strong dog breed, the Boerboel needs to be properly socialized with humans and other dogs. It should be watched when meeting new strangers and never left alone with young children.
4. Argentinian Mastiff. This dog breed is a large and muscular dog. It is very athletic, as well. They are surprisingly very good with children due to their high tolerance for pain. Their high tolerance for pain allows them to deal with children that do not understand how to handle a dog. They will not get impatient with children as easy as other top 10 best guard dog breeds. They are very protective over their territory and will guard it to no end.
3. Rottweiler. The Rottweiler is a very good guard dog. It has the size, strength and intelligence needed to understand situations clearly and react to them. As with any animal with great size and strength, poor training and socialization can result in poor temperaments and overly aggressive natures. However, if the Rottweiler is trained properly and socialized at a very young age, it can be one of the best companion dog breeds on the top 10 best guard dogs list.
2. Doberman Pinscher. The Doberman is one of the best guard dog breeds in history. Dobermans are in general very loving, intelligent and extremely loyal. Although as with any dog breed, temperament can vary. The average Doberman only attacks if it feels that its property or family (pack) is in danger. In fact, the US Centers for Disease states that Dobermans are less involved in fatalities against humans than other dog breeds because of their ability to be trained to attack and not kill. This dog breed has been used extensively for protection in the past. In fact, its breed was a result of a man wanting to create the best guard dog by the name of Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann. This dog has also been used extensively during the World Wars as United States police and military dogs. Due to health problems that have plagued the breed such as; hip dysplasia and cardio, they have not been used as frequently today.
1. Caucasian Shepherd.
The Caucasian Shepherd is the best guard dog, period. It can weigh as much as 160 pounds! This dog is extremely strong, powerful and can adapt to virtually any climate without trouble. With the proper training and socialization, the Caucasian Shepherd can become the best guard dog on the planet.
Finally, owning a guard dog comes with significant responsibility. While all of the listed breeds can make lovely pets, it is essential that they be raised responsibility. The reason that they needed to be raised with extra care is because they possess the characteristics that can make them dangerous if not properly trained and socialized. In order to ensure the safety of everyone around one of the top 10 best guard dog breeds, you should be sure to properly train and socialize your puppy to be unafraid of unsuspecting humans and animals. After reading this article, you should have a good idea on what are the top 10 best guard dogs breeds.
If you are considering adopting or purchasing a guard dog, you should use the list above as guidance. Depending on your wants and needs, each of the respective dogs could be your next potential dog.